Charles Crowell, M.A.
associate professor, The mccormick division of business; director, build the sustainable enterprise program
Everett Mansion Rm 368
- A.B.D., Lancaster University, U.K.
- M.A., Goddard College, 1972
- B.A., University of Pittsburgh, 1970
- Associate Professor, The McCormick Division of Business, Southern Vermont College, 2008-present
- Director, Build the Sustainable Enterprise Program, Southern Vermont College, 2008-present
- Associate Professor of Management, School for International Training Graduate Institute, Brattleboro, Vt., 1999-2002
- Associate Faculty, Organization and Management, Antioch New England, 1993-1998
- Assistant Professor, Business Administration, Champlain College, 1989-1992
- Assistant Professor, Business Administration, Lyndon State College, 1977-1978
- Contemporary Topics in Business
- Strategic Management
- Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurial Success
- Entrepreneurship Lab
Contemporary management and organizational theory. Complex inquiry in virtual (Web-based) environments (capital, organizational structure, growth stage transitions, crises) of small organizations, sustainable, small-scale agriculture.
Why I teach
I don't teach. I mentor and facilitate learning.
publications and presentations
- "Handbook of Education and Corporate Training" (with J. Stevens-Long), 2002
- "Using Computer-Mediated Conferencing," OD Network Annual Conference, New Orleans, 1998
- "A critical role for telecommunications," Conference Proceedings. University of Rhode Island, 1996
- "Doing business in the new republic of Russia," interview on WCAX-TV, 1992
- "Some comment on the socio-cultural practices in contemporary Japan and competition strategies," paper presented at Champlain College, 1991
James Joyce by Richard Ellmann
Chaos: Making of a New Science by Jamed Gleick
Of Critical Theory and Critical Theorists by Stephen Bronner
Social Theory in the Twentieth Century by Patrick Baert
Riske Society by Ulrich Beck
I can never remember movie titles or the names of actors.
Best part of being at SVC
I chose to work at SVC because of its entrepreneurial spirit. I have been given enormous freedom to innovate and design a program which is grounded in professional practice, responsive to contemporary management, and second to none in terms of meeting students' interests and needs.
Professor Charles Crowell, Director of the Build the Enterprise program, recently co-authored some of the work in the second edition of The Handbook of Online Learning, by Kjeli Erik Rudestam and Judith Schoenholtz, published by Sage Publications. The Handbook is a comprehensive reference text for teachers and administrators of online courses and programs, presenting a discussion of the conceptual and theoretical foundations of online learning along with an exploration of practical implementation strategies.
Professor Crowell also published an article on June 15 on the website InsideHigherEd.com, entitled The Kindle Factor which talks the incorporation of the new technology in the BTE classroom this fall. The web article has been widely commented on and picked up by other technology-focused websites, spurred an interview with the Vermont Press Bureau and has been tweeted about! Read the article:
Linda M. Lippacher, R.T. (R), (M), M.A., Director of Radiologic Sciences Curriculum.
- President Gross's Commentary in VTDIGGER.ORG on Five Ways to Make College More Friendly to Vets
- SVC to Honor Higher Ed Leader and Former Asst Secy of the Air Force at Commencement
- Sarah Dahl, M.D., Named to SVC Board of Trustees
- Sharief Hashim Heads Men's JV Basketball and is Admissions Counselor
- President Gross at Research Symposium on Student Debt
- President Gross's Article in Hechinger Report on "Ten ways to make college more friendly to veterans"
- SVC Statement on North Adams Hospital Closing
- President Gross's Article in Huffington Post, "Bringing Our Best Selves to the Table:..."
- Student Philanthropists Investing in the Community