Eileen Rice, PhD, MSN, RN
assistant professor, the Division of Nursing
Healthcare Education Center 304
- PhD, Education (with specialization in Nursing Education), Capella University, 2013
- MS, Nursing, Pace University Leinhard School of Nursing, 1982
- BA, Biology, Middlebury College, 1980
- Instructor, Division of Nursing, Southern Vermont College, 2006-present
- Health Assessment
- Bridge for Professional Nursing
- Transitions to Professional Practice
- Loneliness in the Aging Adult
- Risk Stratification for Chest Pain Patients
areas of expertise
Health care access vs. insurance company rules
Most medical conditions and treatments, including the ethics of treating low-chance-of-survival illnesses
Why I teach
Nursing can be a fulfilling occupation when approached in a thoughtful manner.
- Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
- Little, Big by John Crowley
Best part of being at SVC
Interesting people interacting in a soul-mending environment.
November 2014 - Attended the New York League of Nursing Conference: Building Bridges, Transforming Practice, at Daemen College in Amherst, NY. The Building Bridges idea is for nurses who provide direct patient care and often have the best understanding of clinical problems but don't feel comfortable doing the research involved with helping to solve that problem. She presented a poster from her dissertation research at the Conference, which came in second. CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE POSTER.
June 2014 - Selected to be Vermont Nurse Leadership Fellow by the Vermont Action Coalition, part of Governor Peter Shumlin’s Blue Ribbon Commission on Nursing.
February 2009 - Completed the three required courses offered by Indiana University - teaching in Nursing, Evaluation in Nursing and Computer Technology for Nurse Educators. Applied to sit for the certification exam in May or June.
August 2009 - Earned the designation Certified Nurse Educator (CNE)cm after meeting strict eligibility criteria and successfully completing a rigorous certification examination developed and administered by the National League for Nursing.
June 2007 - Attended the Vermont State's Attorney's Training on Intimate Partner Sexual Violence at the Sheraton in Burlington, Vt.
Assistant Professor and Chair Scott Stein, MS, The Donald Everett Axinn Division of Social Sciences.
- James G. Waldon Joins SVC as Director of Campus Safety
- 19 Student-Athletes Named to 2014 NECC Fall All-Academic Team
- Director of Veterans' Scholar Program to Speak at Wounded Military Heroes Event
- Men's & Women's Volleyball Interim Head Coach
- Asst. Dean/Sr. Dir. of Admissions and Rad Sciences Instructor to Serve on Advisory Committee at SW VT CDC
- President David Rees Evans, Ph.D.