Healthcare Management and Advocacy Certificate Offered this Summer at SVC
April 25, 2012
A Healthcare Management and Advocacy (HMA) Certificate course will be offered at Southern Vermont College (SVC) this summer from June 18 to 22, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The five-day class, taught by Colleen Rundell of SVC’s John Merck Division of Science and Technology, will provide an in-depth exposure to the healthcare system in the United States. This certificate course would be beneficial to anyone already working in the healthcare field or those interested in learning more about the field, particularly healthcare financing, diversity and cultural competency in healthcare; basic issues of aging; healthcare planning and law; and assessment, interviewing and communications skills.
Professor Barry Flanary of The John Merck Division of Science and Technology, Director of the Healthcare Management and Advocacy program at SVC, said “This is SVC’s third summer offering the course. Participants in the program came away with valuable career skills.” Some of the remarks from participants in prior years were: “It was an opportunity to enhance skills while being a team player with individuals goals,” “It gave us an opportunity to build relationships with our peers,” “The curriculum provided a lot of content and the instructor always kept us motivated and engaged,” and “Even for someone who has been doing this type of work for awhile, I came out with a better understanding of the healthcare system and improved communication skills.”
Flanary said that employers such as Southwestern Vermont Medical Center and Senior Whole Health have supported employees with the price of the course. The program cost of $3,750 includes room and board with accommodations in Hunter Hall, SVC’s newest residence hall. If room and board is not needed, the cost for the course is $1,875. In addition, the certificate program may be taken for two academic credits ($400 per credit).
For more information on this course or to register, contact Professor Flanary at 802-447-4312 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. A complete listing of summer courses is available at www.svc.edu. For general SVC admission inquiry, contact the Admissions Office at 802-447-6300 or e-mail email@example.com.
Linda M. Lippacher, R.T. (R), (M), M.A., Director of Radiologic Sciences Curriculum.
- SVC to Honor Higher Ed Leader and Former Asst Secy of the Air Force at Commencement
- Sarah Dahl, M.D., Named to SVC Board of Trustees
- Sharief Hashim Heads Men's JV Basketball and is Admissions Counselor
- President Gross at Research Symposium on Student Debt
- President Gross's Article in Hechinger Report on "Ten ways to make college more friendly to veterans"
- SVC Statement on North Adams Hospital Closing
- President Gross's Article in Huffington Post, "Bringing Our Best Selves to the Table:..."
- President Gross's Article in NEJHE, "Warren Recommendation on Student Debt:..."
- Student Philanthropists Investing in the Community