Southern Vermont College Offers Teacher Apprenticeship Program (TAP)
September 7, 2012
Southern Vermont College has partnered with the Long Trail School in Dorset, Vt., to offer class sessions in Bennington for the Teacher Apprenticeship Program (TAP). TAP started in 2002 in Vermont as an accelerated program to help people transition from another career into teaching, offering the opportunity to receive licensure within one year. TAP is designed for individuals who are interested in pursuing a teaching career and who possess a bachelor’s degree, strong content area knowledge, and work experience.
The TAP program, which started in August at SVC and will be run by James Gedney of the Long Trail School in Dorset, is an eight-month program, including coursework and student teaching with a mentor. Aspiring teachers in this year’s cohort will be student teaching at Mount Anthony Union High School and Manchester Elementary School, among others.
SVC Provost Albert DeCiccio believes that TAP is a great addition to SVC’s career-focused majors and programs. “The TAP program offers one more career choice for our students who wish to be educators as well as to professionals in the Greater Bennington area who are looking for a job change.”
At the end of the eight-month intensive training, program participants are recommended to the Vermont Department of Education for teaching licensure in the state. “It’s a full-time commitment, and there are costs involved,” said Coordinator Gedney, “but for individuals who already have a degree, it’s a fast track to a teaching career.” For more information on TAP, contact Gedney at 802-867-5717 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Linda M. Lippacher, R.T. (R), (M), M.A., Director of Radiologic Sciences Curriculum.
- SVC to Honor Higher Ed Leader and Former Asst Secy of the Air Force at Commencement
- Sarah Dahl, M.D., Named to SVC Board of Trustees
- Sharief Hashim Heads Men's JV Basketball and is Admissions Counselor
- President Gross at Research Symposium on Student Debt
- President Gross's Article in Hechinger Report on "Ten ways to make college more friendly to veterans"
- SVC Statement on North Adams Hospital Closing
- President Gross's Article in Huffington Post, "Bringing Our Best Selves to the Table:..."
- President Gross's Article in NEJHE, "Warren Recommendation on Student Debt:..."
- Student Philanthropists Investing in the Community