Southern Vermont College Offers Teacher Apprenticeship Program (TAP)
September 7, 2012
Southern Vermont College has partnered with the Long Trail School in Dorset, Vt., to offer class sessions in Bennington for the Teacher Apprenticeship Program (TAP). TAP started in 2002 in Vermont as an accelerated program to help people transition from another career into teaching, offering the opportunity to receive licensure within one year. TAP is designed for individuals who are interested in pursuing a teaching career and who possess a bachelor’s degree, strong content area knowledge, and work experience.
The TAP program, which started in August at SVC and will be run by James Gedney of the Long Trail School in Dorset, is an eight-month program, including coursework and student teaching with a mentor. Aspiring teachers in this year’s cohort will be student teaching at Mount Anthony Union High School and Manchester Elementary School, among others.
SVC Provost Albert DeCiccio believes that TAP is a great addition to SVC’s career-focused majors and programs. “The TAP program offers one more career choice for our students who wish to be educators as well as to professionals in the Greater Bennington area who are looking for a job change.”
At the end of the eight-month intensive training, program participants are recommended to the Vermont Department of Education for teaching licensure in the state. “It’s a full-time commitment, and there are costs involved,” said Coordinator Gedney, “but for individuals who already have a degree, it’s a fast track to a teaching career.” For more information on TAP, contact Gedney at 802-867-5717 or email@example.com.
Instructor Sandra Fleischmann, MSN, RN-BC, Division of Nursing
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "When Does a College's Obligation to Its Students End?"
- Mount Anthony is First School in Vermont to Launch National College Application Campaign
- For Veterans Day, Remember: Message from President Gross
- President's Comment in CBS Moneywatch on a 3-year degree
- David Rees Evans, Ph.D., Named Next SVC President
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "...Why Education is Failing Our Students"
- TIME Online "Five Best Ideas of the Day" Links to SVC Co-authored Article
- SVC Co-Authored article in INSIDE HIGHER Ed: "Graduation Shouldn't Be Endpoint"
- Asst. Prof. in Humanities Publishes Article in "Enculturation"
- CJ Class Attends Press Conference with VT Gov. Shumlin