Barbara Ackerman Art Exhibit at Southern Vermont College
October 1, 2012
Southern Vermont College will open its Everett Mansion Burgdorff Gallery with “Soul Gardens,” an exhibit of paintings by Bennington artist Barbara Ackerman on Tuesday, Oct. 9. The exhibit will be available for viewing through Nov. 15. The artist will be available at a reception on Saturday, Oct. 13, from 3 to 5 p.m. in the Gallery, which is free and open to the public.
Ackerman’s recent work includes an exploration in mixed media and her studies in pastel. Her subject matter comes from her love of the outdoors, and her painting technique is representational and interpretive. She creates plein air while exploring abstractions of observations in her studio. Color choices and composition are both visual and emotional responses to her surroundings. Ackerman uses organic forms in her paintings and references familiar shapes or memories. In her newest body of work, “Soul Gardens,” she places these natural forms in a spiritual environment.
Ackerman received a B.S. degree in Art Education from the University of Vermont where she studied painting with Frank Hewitt and is enrolled in the M.F.A program at Johnson State College/Vermont Studio Center in Johnson, Vt. She exhibits regularly at Southern Vermont Arts Center and has shown her work at Bennington Museum, Vermont Studio Center, The Dragonfly on Martha’s Vineyard, Puffins in Watch Hill, and The South Street Cafe in Bennington.
Jennifer Ufnar - Instructor, the Division of Science & Technology.
- President Gross's HUFF POST Blog: "The Power of Small..."
- President Gross's HUFF POST Blog: "When the Buzzer Sounds..."
- Tap Dancer Shares History of Artform (Rutland Herald article)
- Mountaineers Run Past Green Mountains
- Student Jamie Cousineau Named Outstanding Tutor
- Campus Community Dinner Series
- President Gross's Article "My Turn" Can robots replace real nurses?"
- Mountaineers Shock the Country, Top Ephs (Bennington Banner article)