President Karen Gross Returns to Southern Vermont College
January 22, 2013
Karen Gross, President of Southern Vermont College, has resumed her leadership position after serving as Senior Policy Advisor, U.S. Department of Education (Dept. of ED) in Washington, D.C., during the 2012 calendar year. While at the Department, President Gross served on an interagency task force that redesigned, implemented and developed assessment strategies for the Transition Assistance Program mandated for most returning military service personnel. She also participated in efforts to promote college access, quality, success and affordability, consistent with the President’s 2020 goals, across the K-20 pipeline.
President Gross looks forward to sharing with students, faculty, staff, alumni and the community what she learned about the challenges facing our nation and its citizens as well as the role the federal government and the Department of ED can play in identifying and implementing solutions. “I had remarkable opportunities to learn and grow over the past year -- as an educator, as a college leader and as a citizen. My Washington experiences will, I hope, enrich the Southern Vermont College community and future educational strategy across our region and our state,” stated Gross. She continued, “The College can be a replicable and scalable model for affordable, small, private, career-launching liberal arts colleges that embraces student success.”
“We welcome back President Gross to engage us with her ongoing vision and new initiatives for Southern Vermont College. We also look forward to the President sharing her experiences over the past year in Washington D.C.” stated Deborah Wiley, SVC Board Chair.
Southern Vermont College senior, Adrian Alexis, also expressed his enthusiasm for President Gross’ return. “She has been instrumental in helping me achieve my academic goals as well as develop a deep understanding of the value of a college education.”
The SVC and Bennington communities will be invited to lively and thought-provoking discussions on key issues and trends in education at the local, state and national levels. President Gross will also share insights into her time inside the “Beltway.”
Linda M. Lippacher, R.T. (R), (M), M.A., Director of Radiologic Sciences Curriculum.
- SVC to Honor Higher Ed Leader and Former Asst Secy of the Air Force at Commencement
- Sarah Dahl, M.D., Named to SVC Board of Trustees
- Sharief Hashim Heads Men's JV Basketball and is Admissions Counselor
- President Gross at Research Symposium on Student Debt
- President Gross's Article in Hechinger Report on "Ten ways to make college more friendly to veterans"
- SVC Statement on North Adams Hospital Closing
- President Gross's Article in Huffington Post, "Bringing Our Best Selves to the Table:..."
- President Gross's Article in NEJHE, "Warren Recommendation on Student Debt:..."
- Student Philanthropists Investing in the Community