SVC Student Hanifah Presley and The Greater Bennington Interfaith Council Honored at Vermont Campus Compact Engaged Campus Forum
April 26, 2013
Hanifah Presley, a student at Southern Vermont College (SVC), received the Engaged Student Award from Vermont Campus Campact (VCC) at the 2013 Engaged Campus Forum. VCC is a consortium of Vermont’s colleges and universities committed to civic engagement. The recognition reception and ceremony was held on April 12 at the Sheraton in Burlington, Vt.
Presley of Brooklyn, N.Y., received the Engaged Student Award for a significant investment of time and energy in activities that promote and support engagement at SVC among her peers. Since 2011, Presley has been active in MooseCorps, a community service club that provides service opportunities for the entire SVC community. She has worked endless hours clearing brush at One World Conservation Center in Bennington and selling Candy Grams to raise funds for the American Heart Association. “All who know her acknowledge that Presley’s greatest strength is her willingness to communicate helpfully with other students,” said Corie Steinke, SVC Residence Director and Civic Engagement Coordinator.
As a community partner of SVC, The Greater Bennington Interfaith Council was recognized as a finalist for the Engaged Community Partner Award, which recognizes the support of the College’s civic mission. Members of The Greater Bennington Interfaith Council worked with SVC Provost Albert DeCiccio and Professors Thomas Redden and Tracey Forest and as guest lecturers for the course Comparative Religions. The course identifies religious issues relevant to contemporary society, provides opportunities for students to visit places of worship for the many faith traditions in Greater Bennington, offers a forum for students to be in dialogue with those in other religious traditions on matters of faith and practice, and invites students to provide community service to the Greater Bennington community.
Linda M. Lippacher, R.T. (R), (M), M.A., Director of Radiologic Sciences Curriculum.
- SVC to Honor Higher Ed Leader and Former Asst Secy of the Air Force at Commencement
- Sarah Dahl, M.D., Named to SVC Board of Trustees
- Sharief Hashim Heads Men's JV Basketball and is Admissions Counselor
- President Gross at Research Symposium on Student Debt
- President Gross's Article in Hechinger Report on "Ten ways to make college more friendly to veterans"
- SVC Statement on North Adams Hospital Closing
- President Gross's Article in Huffington Post, "Bringing Our Best Selves to the Table:..."
- President Gross's Article in NEJHE, "Warren Recommendation on Student Debt:..."
- Student Philanthropists Investing in the Community