Southern Vermont College Partners with College Steps Program
June 4, 2013
Beginning in fall of 2013, Southern Vermont College (SVC) will partner with the College Steps Program (CSP), joining two other Vermont Colleges engaged in this innovative program: Castleton State and Johnson State. The College Steps Program provides students with cognitive impairments (e.g., autism spectrum disorders, intellectual disabilities) with an opportunity to participate in a modified two-year college experience. This experience helps students to acquire academic, social, vocational, and independent living skills. Students in this program will obtain a certificate upon completion of the requirements.
To assure success, CSP will recruit and hire undergraduates at SVC to serve as peer mentors to help promote the integration of CSP scholars on campus. In addition, CSP will hire an on-campus Program Director to oversee all CSP student services as well as peer mentor and faculty training and development.
The academic component of the College Steps Program suggests students take one class per semester. Prior to enrolling in classes, the CSP Program Director will work with students and outreach to professors to ensure proper fit within the classroom. Faculty members will not be required to modify their class content beyond any reasonable accommodations available to students with learning differences. CSP students are fully supported in and out of class with the completion of their academic assignments. This program will also help SVC engage with members of the Greater Bennington community in new and important ways, preparing them to be the citizens of tomorrow.
Recently, the College Steps Program was featured on VPR. To hear that program, go to http://digital.vpr.net/post/autistic-and-college-bound-0#.UZ9ebWSQLOc.email. For more information, contact SVC’s Provost, Dr. Al DeCiccio, at 802-447-6303 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Linda M. Lippacher, R.T. (R), (M), M.A., Director of Radiologic Sciences Curriculum.
- SVC to Honor Higher Ed Leader and Former Asst Secy of the Air Force at Commencement
- Sarah Dahl, M.D., Named to SVC Board of Trustees
- Sharief Hashim Heads Men's JV Basketball and is Admissions Counselor
- President Gross at Research Symposium on Student Debt
- President Gross's Article in Hechinger Report on "Ten ways to make college more friendly to veterans"
- SVC Statement on North Adams Hospital Closing
- President Gross's Article in Huffington Post, "Bringing Our Best Selves to the Table:..."
- President Gross's Article in NEJHE, "Warren Recommendation on Student Debt:..."
- Student Philanthropists Investing in the Community