Southern Vermont College Partners with U.S. Marine Corps' Leadership Scholar Program
August 26, 2013
Southern Vermont College (SVC) is proud to announce that it has begun partnering with the United States Marine Corps’ Leadership Scholar Program (LSP) to promote academic excellence for US Marines at the collegiate level.
The LSP helps to identify those Marines who qualify for application to the College’s Veterans’ Scholar Program and then connects them both to the program and to Southern Vermont’s Office of Admissions in order to begin the application process.
Beth E. Morgan, the Director of LSP at the Headquarters Marine Corps Marine and Family Programs Division, stated that, “Transitioning to college is also a topic covered in the Marine Corps’ Transition Readiness Seminar and College/University Pathway. Our goal with our LSP is to help Marines who are interested in attending college find a way to get into the best college they can.”
The College and LSP work with honorably discharged members of the USMC, as well as reserve Marines, to ensure that all application materials are submitted by the set deadline for review by a panel to determine acceptance. Applicants must be an active duty or reserve member of the Corp when applying, and their service must be completed by the beginning of the school semester for which they are trying to enroll. A recommendation from the member’s chain of command, along with high school and any college transcripts, are all necessary for proper application.
“Southern Vermont College is honored to be participating in the Leadership Scholar Program,” said Jeremy Gibbons, SVC Director of Admissions. “The LSP is doing wonderful work in helping Marines reach their higher education goals, and I look forward to SVC joining in these efforts.”
SVC joins Norwich University, Saint Michael’s College and the University of Vermont as the only schools in the state to partner with the Leadership Scholar Program; there are over 200 colleges and universities across the country that also work with the Marine Corps’ LSP.
Linda M. Lippacher, R.T. (R), (M), M.A., Director of Radiologic Sciences Curriculum.
- President Gross's Commentary in VTDIGGER.ORG on Five Ways to Make College More Friendly to Vets
- SVC to Honor Higher Ed Leader and Former Asst Secy of the Air Force at Commencement
- Sarah Dahl, M.D., Named to SVC Board of Trustees
- Sharief Hashim Heads Men's JV Basketball and is Admissions Counselor
- President Gross at Research Symposium on Student Debt
- President Gross's Article in Hechinger Report on "Ten ways to make college more friendly to veterans"
- SVC Statement on North Adams Hospital Closing
- President Gross's Article in Huffington Post, "Bringing Our Best Selves to the Table:..."
- Student Philanthropists Investing in the Community