SVC Student Dilcia Gutierrez and College Partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters Honored at Vermont Campus Compact Engaged Campus Forum
May 6, 2014
Dilcia Gutierrez, a student majoring in Business Administration/ Management at Southern Vermont College (SVC), received the Engaged Student Award from Vermont Campus Campact (VCC) at the 2014 Engaged Campus Forum. VCC is a consortium of Vermont’s colleges and universities committed to civic engagement. The recognition reception and ceremony were held on April 4 in Colchester, Vt.
Gutierrez of Brooklyn, N.Y., received the Engaged Student Award for a significant investment of time and energy in activities that promote and support engagement at SVC among her peers.
During the current academic year, Gutierrez has been working with SVC’s Office of Civic Engagement. “Dilcia is the most dependable student I have worked with in my career in higher education,” said Corie Steinke, SVC Residence Director and Civic Engagement Coordinator. “Dilcia continuously volunteers for initiatives and encourages others to follow her example. Her work with MooseCorps and Alternative Spring Break has inspired her to seek a career in non-profit management and civic participation.”
Dilcia has consistently volunteered to be the voice of the Office of Civic Engagement at various campus events. She has also been involved in SVC’s Campus Community Dinner Series where she has been trained in the art of conversation and communication in order to reach out to Bennington families.
As a community partner of SVC, Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) was recognized as a finalist for the Engaged Partnership Award, which recognizes the support of the College’s civic mission. SVC students interact with members of the community through the BBBS organization. BBBS is currently a program that is run on the College’s campus and allows students to be mentors to children in the Bennington community. SVC students are paired up with one student and are able to meet with them once a week at their school and once a month after school on campus.
Instructor and Co-Chair Tammy Kenny, MS, MST, Division of Science and Technology.
- Nursing Chair to Serve n VT Board of Nursing Education Committee
- Criminal Justice Students Tour Albany Sheriff's Department
- "Spirit of Giving"
- Student-Athlete Advisory Committee Sponsors Toy and Clothing Drive
- Criminal Justice Students Witness the Law at Albany County Court
- President Gross's Farewell Message
- Op-ed by President Gross in Bennington Banner: "A president receives a gift"
- President Gross's Commentary in VTDIGGER.ORG: "Can Civic Engagement Help Millennials Get Jobs?"
- SPRING CLASSES
- President Gross's Comment in NationalJournal: "Civic Engagement..."
- David Rees Evans, Ph.D., Named Next SVC President