Carmen Lawrence Named to SVC Board of Trustees
October 28, 2009
Southern Vermont College has named Carmen J. Lawrence, J.D. to its board of trustees. Lawrence, based in New York City, is the co-head of the securities enforcement and regulation practice and a litigation partner with the international law firm, Fried Frank Harris Shriver & Jacobson.
“I am delighted that Carmen Lawrence has joined the Southern Vermont College Board of Trustees,” remarked SVC President Karen Gross. “Carmen brings remarkable and wide-ranging talents to the Board, and we welcome her wisdom, her experience, her judgment and her perspectives. I look forward to working together with her as we realize SVC’s bright future.”
Since joining Fried Frank as a partner in 2000, Lawrence’s primary practice focuses on representing parties in investigations and litigation conducted by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and other regulators, as well as counseling public companies and regulated entities on their obligations under the federal securities laws.
Previously, Lawrence served as Regional Director for the Securities and Exchange Commission's Northeast Regional Office. She has spoken extensively and participates in continuing legal education programs for federal securities law matters and is co-editor of “Securities in the Electronic Age: A Practical Guide to the Law and Regulation” (Glasser Legal Works, third edition). Among Lawrence’s numerous awards includes the Equal Employment Opportunity Award, Presidential Distinguished Executive Award, Stanley Sporkin Award and Irving M. Pollack Award. She has also been recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Legal 500 and Benchmark.
Lawrence co-chairs the Subcommittee on SEC Enforcement and Civil Litigation of the American Bar Association’s Business Law Section, and she serves on various boards, including Practicing Law Institute and The SEC Historical Society. Lawrence earned her Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Michigan Law School and a Bachelor of Arts degree from Cornell University.
Instructor Sandra Fleischmann, MSN, RN-BC, Division of Nursing
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "When Does a College's Obligation to Its Students End?"
- Mount Anthony is First School in Vermont to Launch National College Application Campaign
- For Veterans Day, Remember: Message from President Gross
- President's Comment in CBS Moneywatch on a 3-year degree
- David Rees Evans, Ph.D., Named Next SVC President
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "...Why Education is Failing Our Students"
- TIME Online "Five Best Ideas of the Day" Links to SVC Co-authored Article
- SVC Co-Authored article in INSIDE HIGHER Ed: "Graduation Shouldn't Be Endpoint"
- Asst. Prof. in Humanities Publishes Article in "Enculturation"
- CJ Class Attends Press Conference with VT Gov. Shumlin