Lecture on Design and Marketing Skills: March 2
February 24, 2010
Sandra Jordan, designer and owner of the Sandra Jordan Prima Alpaca™ Collection, delivered a lecture, entitled “Alpaca: From Commodity to Branded Luxury,” at Southern Vermont College on March 2. Jordan developed a green business plan to benefit local economic development while producing treasured Alpaca fabric in her native Peru. This effort resulted in her luxurious Prima Alpaca™ textile collection and an award from Vida Peru, a charitable organization, for workforce development initiatives. Her company’s fabrics have been used in many homes and businesses and grace the Obama White House.
Part of the College’s 2009-2010 From Inspiration to Innovation lecture series, Jordan’s address was free and open to the public. A reception followed in the College’s Burgdorff Gallery.
Growing up in Peru, Jordan was exposed to many traditional artisan crafts. That exposure was the beginning of her lifelong passion for time-honored art forms from around the world. She received an undergraduate degree in International Affairs, and she has undertaken graduate work in education and business administration.
From 1993 until 2007, she served as Jordan Winery’s Creative Director and renovated the hospitality suites and public areas for Jordan Wines. These activities inspired her to create heirloom pieces reflecting the wine country lifestyle, expanding the Jordan brand to encompass more than fine wine. She won national awards for her packaging designs in the wine industry and publications entitled “Pictures at Jordan” and “Estate Tales.” In 2006, Jordan authored her first book, “The Art of Decanting,” which features wine presentation and showcases her collection of wine related items.
The SVC lecture series continues on Friday, March 19, with National Book Award and Pulitzer Prize winning Professor Annette Gordon-Reed, an historian and law professor, whose lecture at the Bennington Center for the Arts is entitled “Presidents, Family, and Culture: Rethinking History.”
For more information on the lectures, contact SVC’s Office of Communications at 802-447-6389/6388 or e-mail email@example.com.
Linda M. Lippacher, R.T. (R), (M), M.A., Director of Radiologic Sciences Curriculum.
- SVC to Honor Higher Ed Leader and Former Asst Secy of the Air Force at Commencement
- Sarah Dahl, M.D., Named to SVC Board of Trustees
- Sharief Hashim Heads Men's JV Basketball and is Admissions Counselor
- President Gross at Research Symposium on Student Debt
- President Gross's Article in Hechinger Report on "Ten ways to make college more friendly to veterans"
- SVC Statement on North Adams Hospital Closing
- President Gross's Article in Huffington Post, "Bringing Our Best Selves to the Table:..."
- President Gross's Article in NEJHE, "Warren Recommendation on Student Debt:..."
- Student Philanthropists Investing in the Community