Big Brothers Big Sisters of Bennington County
Southern Vermont College is proud of our longstanding relationship with the Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) organization. Big Brothers Big Sisters of Bennington County is based out of United Counseling Services. Big Brothers Big Sisters helps children who need and want a mentor, and through the personal growth and guidance of a professionally supported, one-to-one relationship, children develop self-confidence and assurance.
Southern Vermont College students have the opportunity to become a mentor to a local elementary school student through Big Brother Big Sisters. The program requires a year-long commitment beginning in September. Potential Big Brothers Big Sisters mentors are nominated by a faculty or staff member, interviewed by Big Brother Big Sister program staff, and if selected, attend mandatory training to help them learn skills which will support them as a mentor.
Big Brothers Big Sisters mentoring takes place at a local elementary school in Bennington once a week for approximately an hour, typically during lunchtime. Big Brothers Big Sisters program staff is flexible in working with student mentors’ schedules to find a day of the week convenient for them.
If you are interested in becoming a mentor, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jennifer Ufnar - Instructor, the Division of Science & Technology.
- President Gross's HUFF POST Blog: "The Power of Small..."
- President Gross's HUFF POST Blog: "When the Buzzer Sounds..."
- Tap Dancer Shares History of Artform (Rutland Herald article)
- Mountaineers Run Past Green Mountains
- Student Jamie Cousineau Named Outstanding Tutor
- Campus Community Dinner Series
- President Gross's Article "My Turn" Can robots replace real nurses?"
- Mountaineers Shock the Country, Top Ephs (Bennington Banner article)