- If something, such as furniture, is broken in your room or your lounge area, be sure to contact facilities at Facilities@svc.edu or notify your Community Advisor for a prompt repair.
- Mattresses are 36"W x 80"L x 6"D. Extra-long twin sheets are recommended.
- If you are being dropped off by family or friends, have them take extra suitcases, etc., home with them. There are no storage facilities on campus.
- If a personal item is missing, please talk to your Community Advisor and fill out a report with Campus Safety. If not, an investigation cannot proceed.
- Many new students want to fit in; being yourself is the best way to do it.
- Your education comes first. Your homework is a #1 priority.
- Spend your money wisely; it goes quickly.
- Be sure to get involved in social activities. They're a good stress reliever and they are a part of your activity fee.
- Get to know your Community Advisors! They have a lot of information which could benefit you.
Suggested Things to Bring
Hardware & Cleaning
- Iron and ironing board
- Air Freshener/Lysol
- Small sewing kit
- Light bulbs
- Can opener
- Foods that can be microwaved (soup, popcorn, pasta, various canned foods)
- Snack food/drink mixes (iced tea, Kool Aid, etc.)
- Antibiotic ointment
- Imodium AD/TUMS
- Cold medicines (NyQuil, etc.)
- Hydrogen peroxide and/or rubbing alcohol
- Q-Tips/Cotton balls
- Any personal medications
- Medical supply box
- Pencil sharpener
- Desk drawer organizer
- Paper clips
- Thumb tacks
- Scotch tape
- Desk lamp or bed light
- Waste basket
- Computer--The College provides a 24-hour computer lab.
- Memo board/dry erase board
- Shower tote
- Flip flops
- Razor/Shaving cream
- Soap/Soap dish/Shampoo
- Toothbrush/toothpaste/mouthwash/dental floss
Clothing & Storage
- Tension rods
- Extra shelves
- Egg crates
- Underbed storage containers
- Collapsible drying rack
- Boots for the winter weather
- Clothing for the season--Pack seasonally, there is limited closet space.
- Lots of quarters for laundry
- Appropriate posters and other room decorations
- Ice skates
- Skis and accessories
- Bulletin board
- Laundry detergent/ Fabric softener or sheets
- Laundry bag or basket
- Alarm clock
- Extra-long twin sheets/Comforter
- Blanket/Pillows/Pillow case
- UL listed power strips with circuit breakers
Be sure to call your roommate ahead of time so that you do not bring two of everything.
Remember that these are only suggestions. If you do not need or use something on this list, do not bring it with you.
THINGS TO LEAVE HOME
- Pets (except fish in no more than a 10 gallon tank)
- Extra bulky furniture
- Heat coil appliances such as hot plates, sandwich makers, toasters, etc.
- Halogen lamps
- Holiday lights
- Extension cords
A Practical Guide from the Office of Residence Life
After being accepted to Southern Vermont College, new resident students must participate in orientation, which begins the Thursday before fall classes start, so they are able to meet and talk to fellow classmates. Also, a roommate matching form will be sent from the Office of Residence Life. As a new student you are asked information about your living style, study habits, etc., to help us choose you a compatible roommate (These can also be found via the Housing Request Form link on the Residence Life homepage). Through this form, you may also specifically name the person with whom you wish to live with. Both of you, however, must indicate a desire to live together in order to be assigned as roommates.
The College furnishes each room with two beds and two mattresses. Two study desks, two chairs, overhead lighting, 2 dressers, and a built in closet are also provided. All rooms contain blinds and carpeting.
Each student living on campus is assigned a mailbox. Mail should be addressed to you and should include:
Your name, Box number
982 Mansion Drive
Bennington, VT 05201-6002
A mailbox and box number can be acquired by stopping in at the campus Bookstore.
Sara Diane Nolan, MSW
Adjunct Faculty, The Donald Everett Axinn Division of Social Sciences
- SVC Hosts 89th Commencment Ceremony
- Middle Schoolers Compete in Sarnoff Speech Contest
- Northshire Bookstore Hosts Student Authors of Publishing Series
- Sign up Now for Online or On-Campus Summer Classes
- SVC Granted Approval for Online Nursing BSN Program
- David Evans Inaugurated as Ninth President of SVC
- Introducing The Good Neighbor Scholarship for Students in Area Communities